Monday, November 15, 2010

WARNING!

This post may contain elements of whinginess, protestations, whining and general 'woe is me'-isms. Reader discretion is strongly advised.


I knew it was going to be crazy. That while the kids and I were moving to Switzerland, he was moving to the company. We joked about that a lot. I even once, in jest, told him he could have a few years to get settled in. That we'd plan holidays for January 2012.

What.The.Heck.Was.I.THINKING????

Not that I'm keeping score or anything...but:

I deal with everything concerning the kids' schools. From payments, to lunches, to homework, to meetings. To driving children to and from school, events, birthdays, activities. To be fair, Mike chips in when he can (ie. not often).

This may not sound so bad, but it bears saying that most of this is new to me, and the learning curve has been pretty steep. The school is run differently from our school in Canada. There's much more homework for the B boy (amazingly, the older boy STILL gets no homework...), as well as numerous extra-curricular activities and events where parental presence is requested.

Similarly, the carting around of the children to places I've never heard of, let alone know how to find, on small, narrow and dark Swiss roads is not my idea of a good time. Especially when the GPS invariably suggests routes that only exist on a map and proceeds to repeatedly yell 'turn around when possible' to me while I frantically try to find the birthday party location or a new friend's house.

I am, of course, also responsible for everything concerning the house we are building. From kitchens to bathrooms, fixtures to electrical outlets. Minute details to massively expensive decisions. And let's not forget those meetings with the architect and various sub-contractors - I am at their beck and call. Two or three times a week, minimum. Preferably with zero notice and all in French. I hope someone's having a laugh, because my gesturing ain't getting any better.

And then, of course, there's the Clash of the Schedules, also known as the kids' school holidays vs. the father's work plans. Where there is a clear winner who....

....was away for part of the boys' fall break
...and will be away for part of their Christmas break
...and for the boys' winter break
...and part of their Easter break

And, of course, the first part of their summer holidays.

But to top it off? The real reason why I am feeling overwhelmed and frustrated right now. The cream on the cherry. Or is that cherry on the cream? THE TOP THINGY...whatever it's called...

...is that just today I was informed by my builder that our house will be ready to move into on February 25th. Three weeks delayed. Which is frustrating, since this little rental house of ours is starting to feel seriously claustrophobic.

But, even more vexing, February 25th is a mere two days after Mike flies to Toronto for a week long stay.

Guess I'll be managing the move on my own, too.

Gah.

DISCLAIMER:
My poor hubster is working so hard these days, and I do try to be supportive of him. I hope I am generally pretty good. Today I am just feeling a wee bit overwhelmed, and I can't really see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm sure it's there, just hidden behind construction dust. Dust that won't settle until February 26th. Grrr....

No comments:

Post a Comment